Thursday, March 6, 2014

Remembering Our First Hero

As I'm writing on an article about my research in Colombia and how the field work started, I'm recollecting how I first got connected with this very special lady. She was our access to the entire district of Aguablanca, the area of our field work. I had just arrived in Cali and met up with some old friends one afternoon in a park. Quite randomly, I started talking to a friend of a friend, a university student, who told me I should talk to her professor. There was an event at the university in a week's time, a celebration in the name of national salsa legend, and the professor would be there.

The professor connected us with a community leader, who in turn connected us with another professor. This latter one, finally, connected us with Dora, our first hero in Aguablanca.


No comments: